Saturday, November 3, 2012

Decade dressing for October

 1920s flapper dress: Deseret Industries (worn for Halloween last year)

Bonjour, Château readers! Rue here for your October style report. This month, Halloween tends to rule. I'm a big Halloween fan, but I'm an even bigger fan of all the great outfits that suddenly appear in thrift shops everywhere. If you are in to dressing up for this spooky holiday, you can easily throw together a fun flash-from-the-past outfit from pretty much any decade you like and fix your hair and make-up to match. And even if you don't celebrate Halloween, I say you rock that vintage outfit any day you want. Make it modern with modern hair and make-up. Below, I'm featuring four dresses I thrifted this past year, all from different decades. I'll show you how I wear them today, and give suggestions for fixing them up to be Halloween costumes.

1. The 1960s Mad-Men Shift, found in a vintage shop in Portland

Dress: vintage / Shoes: Ross / Necklace: Grandmother's vintage

This is seriously my new favorite dress. I wore it to church today and got a ton of compliments. You could easily fix up your hair in a teased up-do, add a fur stole and perhaps a few feathers in your hair, and voilà, you came straight from the office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce.

2. The 1960s Mod Frock, thrifted at Goodwill

Dress: thrifted / Belt: J Crew final sale / Boots: Fossil via Ross / Earrings: Fred Meyer

When I spotted this psychedelic frock for mere dollars at Goodwill, I couldn't pass it up. It may be a bit bright for today as a regular outfit, but it sure is fun and comfortable. A black blazer on top could help with the bright factor, or you could throw sweater on top and use it as a bright skirt. To pass for a 60s fashion model for Halloween, sport it with a beehive decorated with a wide ribbon, or a sleek pixie look and wide, dark eyes à la Twiggy, throw on a bold necklace, preferably with over-sized baubles, and find yourself some tall, white platform boots.

3. The 1970s Dress, thrifted at Goodwill

Dress, shoes: thrifted / Jewelry: Maurices

I love this flowy 70s dress for two reasons: it reminds me of old photos of my mother in her youth, and it is so comfortable it could be a nightgown. For a super-70s Halloween look, straighten your hair then wear it with a part down the middle and toss on some tall brown boots. Add a corsage for a 70s formal feel.

4. The 80s Sequined Dress, consigned in Portland

Dress: consigned / Shoes: Macy's / Jewelry & Clutch: Gabes

Worn like this, I'd feel comfortable wearing this dress to a more formal event today. To rock it 80s style, put the shoulder pads back in, add some black tights, curl and tease your hair like crazy, and go way overboard on the make-up. 

So, there you have it: four fun decade dresses and an easy, cost-effective way to score a Halloween outfit and regular outfit all in one. Would you wear looks like this? Let us know in the comments!

P.S. To see two more dresses, including the 20s flapper one up top, check out this post that I did last Halloween.
You may like: Week-end a la campagne

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all your looks and that some of them can be worn everyday or for special occasions. Xo

Unknown said...

Rue is a gorgeous girl!!
Julia

Terra said...

These looks are all attractive, especially that last dress.

Leslie said...

Beautiful! So many great looks!

babycatface said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
babycatface said...

Hi Isabelle!

When someone visits me and leaves a comment, I always visit he/she back, but not everybody get to feel what you're trying to say or transmit, they just pass by, and although you try to see their good intentions not everybody feels the same or catches your eye.

But you've really caught my eye, your blog seems to be made from love, and that's what I like the most and what I try to do, so you are a kind of inspiration for me: having a family, caring about important and beautiful things... and having a blog, believe me when I tell I think that's an amazing plan for live.

Really, thanks for coming and for those beautiful words, I try to put a piece of my heart in every single thing I do, so it is great someone feels it the same I do.

And you should try to practice your spanish, I can help you if you want. I would love to speak french but I don't know much, although I love your hometown, I've been there once and would love to come back one day.

Besos de gato.

Y disculpa si no escribo muy bien en inglés, ;)

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

all of these looks are wonderful! i love the 80's dress the most!

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

High Heeled Life said...

Fabulous fashion!! Great post mon ami...Hugs C. (HHL)

Contact me at: isafrenchy@gmail.com